Upward Bound ELLs is a pre-college program of the Consortium that serves students in the greater Newark area.
The Upward Bound English Language Learners (ELLs) program is funded by the U.S Department of Education and is designed to address the needs of low-income and potential first generation college students. The program is designed to prepare students for English proficiency, completion of high school, admission to and enrollment in a post secondary institution. The goal of the Upward Bound ELLs at the New Jersey Institute of Technology is to serve fifty (50) high school students with limited English proficiency from the city of Newark. Assistance is given to students in achieving English competence while providing academic instruction in mathematics, science, communications skills, computer applications and Spanish.
Services We Offer
- Academic Year Program: Divided into a fall and spring semester, consists of twenty (20) sessions after school and/or Saturdays.
- Academic & Personal Counseling: Individual and group sessions that assist students to achieve personal and academic growth and guidance toward the selection of post-secondary institutions best suited for their needs.
- Career Orientation: Expose students to a wide range of career choices.
- College Admission & Financial Aid: Provide assistance to graduating seniors with the completion of federal financial aid forms and college admission applications.
- Computer Lab Facilities: Students are able to use the computer room for research and word processing.
- Cultural Awareness Activities: Help students understand their culture and the American culture.
- Field Trips: Students participate in educational trips to museums, science and chemical laboratories facilities, hospitals and theaters.
- Summer Program: A six (6) week program, which 3 weeks are residential, that includes rigorous academic instruction.
- Tutorial Services: Provide tutorial services to improve student's academic skills.
- Computer Literacy: Introduction to computers, Word Processing and Internet properties.
- Counseling: Personal and academic counseling, career orientation, goal settings and problem solving.
- English as a Second Language: Basic, Intermediate and Advanced.
- Spanish: Basic, Intermediate and Advanced.
- Mathematics: Basic Arithmetic/Developmental Math, Algebra, Advanced Algebra/Trigonometry, Geometry and Pre-Calculus.
- Science: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Human Anatomy & Physiology.
How Do I Qualify?
Students who have completed 8th grade but have not entered the 12th grade are eligible to apply and are selected on the basis of a combination of criteria including:
- Counselor recommendation
- Academic record
- Income eligibility
- Applicants must be a U.S citizen or eligible non-citizen and a permanent resident of the city of Newark at the time of enrollment.
Each applicant is required to submit a completed application with academic record, student essay, counselor recommendation and parent financial information. The UBELLs program director then reviews the applicant's file and schedules an interview with the student. An acceptance letter is mailed to the applicant within several weeks. Finally, the applicant and parent must attend an orientation session.
It is absolutely free. Students are provided with books, instructional supplies, field trips, meals and public transportation tickets at no cost.
The Upward Bound English Language Learners (ELLs) Program at New Jersey Institute of Technology recruits students from the following Newark Public Schools:
- Barringer High School
- East Side High School